Promotes a professional practice image by the efficient performance of a variety of clerical or clinical related tasks designed to facilitate the smooth flow of patients and work throughout the organization. Essential functions to include one or more of the following : receives and registers patients and all visitors in a prompt and courteous manner, manages the telephone, schedules appointments, prepares charts, collects payments and copayments, and processes forms and on occasion enters charges and payments in the computer system, assist the physicians with the examination and treatment of patients and perform routine tasks needed to keep the clinical office or clerical office running smoothly.
Job Responsibilities: Clerical Duties
- Schedules and manages appointments. Routinely updates patient information: change of address, phone numbers, insurance or person to notify. Registration to include patient’s preferred pharmacy, preferred language, race, ethnic background and preferred communication.
- Verifies medical insurance eligibility on each patient prior to or upon check in.
- Collects co-pays, payments from patients and provides receipt to every patient; maintains payment log, balances at end of day, correctly enters credit card payments through Emdeon, and prepares deposit slip daily.
- Reviews charges on encounter form for accuracy and correctly enters into computer system.
- Retrieves messages from answering service/machine/voicemail each morning, right after lunch and throughout the workday.
- Answers telephone within three rings, screens and directs incoming calls and messages to the appropriate party, answers patient inquiries either in person or on the telephone within the limits of his/her knowledge and medical practice polices. Documents pertinent information given or received in patient’s medical record.
- Maintains all patient information using the electronic health record to include but not limited to orders, scanning, tasking, and prescription refill requests.
- Schedules patient appointments according to office policy.
- Follows confidentiality and security rules when providing information to outside sources.
- Travels to other IHPS offices when needed to cover clinical/clerical when requested.
- Performs any other services deemed reasonable by physician or practice manager.
Experience and Education. Completion of accredited medical assistant program or a multi-tasked professional with at least two years of experience, preferred in performing front OR back office activities in a medical environment. Current CPR certification.
Knowledge: Basic medical front or back office procedures and medical terminology; first aid measure; equipment, supplies and instruments used in a medical office; simple routine clinical laboratory methods; universal blood and body fluid precautions; OSHA rules and regulations; established protocol for storing poisons, narcotics, acids, caustics and flammable items, restrictions imposed by various managed care carriers, various forms inherent to profession; patient confidentiality regulations, usage of computer systems, insurance authorizations, referrals, and billing processes.
Abilities. Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with staff members; create a responsive caring environment for patients; answer multiline telephones, operate automated systems, personal computers and fax machines, respond promptly to physician’s directions; maintain medical records in a concise and accurate manner; employ correct aseptic techniques in preparation of instruments & equipment; react quickly in emergency situations; recognize and prevent possible safety hazards; ensure proper maintenance of equipment; communicate clearly and facilitate patient education when warranted; act as advocate and assist physician in meeting the physical and mental needs of patient; exercise independent judgment; perform functions that consistently fall within the legal boundaries of profession, understand and enforce the financial policy of the practice and recognize and correct costly data capture errors.