It’s almost Fall, and health officials are beginning their yearly push to convince everyone to get the latest version of the flu shot. You may be wondering, “is it really important to get the flu shot and is it worth the hassle?” Every doctor or nurse will tell you “yes,” but you might still have doubts and question why it’s crucial to get a flu shot year after year.
Why is the flu shot necessary?
We all should know by now that the flu virus spreads easily. But did you know that it can be contracted within six feet of a person who is infected? Not only that, but the flu virus can be life threatening to young children and those who suffer from chronic medical conditions. So you’re not only protecting yourself, but you’re limiting the passing of the flu virus on to others. And you may not have known, but you can actually pass on the flu virus a day before you even start to have symptoms yourself! Below are some facts to understand why the flu shot is important for you and for your family.
- Babies under six months of age are too young for a flu shot and are a high risk for complications due to the flu virus. By getting a flu shot, you can help to keep the baby healthy.
- The flu virus is easily spread; in schools, the workplace, church, daycare, hospitals, you name it! Even healthy children and adults can become sick.
- Young children (even healthy children) and expecting mothers are at risk for serious complications from the flu virus.
- People with chronic medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes or any disease that can decrease their immune system can be at risk for serious complications from the flu virus.
- Each flu strain is different and can range from a mild fever to life threatening pneumonia.
How can I protect myself and my family from the flu?
The best thing you can do during flu season, which falls around October through March, is to get a flu shot! Not only does the flu shot protect you and your family, but also those around you. The vaccine takes just a little time to take effect and offer full flu protection.
Where can I take my family to get the flu shot?
Flu shot’s are offered at many of IRMC Physician Group offices. To schedule your flu shot today, call 888-452-IRMC. IRMC Physician Group offers same day appointments.